Tuesday, January 10, 2017

Not So Basic: Kale Salad With Blackened Salmon

With each new year and new city overseas, the ultimate question always remains: which of my normal American groceries will I not be able to find? In Turkey, there were several, while in Italy and Lithuania I could find almost anything. However, grocery shopping in Spain has been beyond my wildest dreams. I knew the stars were aligning in the produce aisle for me this year when I could find one of my favorite ingredients that I yearn for every season abroad: kale. I know, this is disappointing to most, as the majority of expats I know miss things like ranch and bbq sauce. I love kale and use it in so many recipes. Here is my absolute favorite salad, the only one my husband will specifically request. Weekly. I usually serve it with a piece of blackened salmon, but we often eat it alone as well. 

Consider this a double whammy, because not only is this the best kale salad you'll ever eat, this is the best piece of salmon you'll ever make as well. Do you ever go out to eat and wonder why your salmon at home isn't as good as in the restaurants? Butter. There's no avoiding it, the only way to a crispy outside and moist (when will we come up with a new word for this?!) inside is using a little butter. When used in moderation (I'm lookin at you Paula Dean), butter actually has health benefits so don't worry, this isn't going to set back your New Year's resolution. 

Ingredients: 

For the Salad:
One bag of kale ribbons (or cut your own)
1 Mango, diced
1 Red onion, thinly cliced
1 Avocado, diced
1/2 Cucumber, peeled and diced
1 Handful Cherry tomatoes

For the Dressing:
5 Tablespoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1 Garlic clove, minced
1 Tablespoon Dijon Mustard
1 Lemon, juiced

For the Salmon:
2 Salmon Filets
2 Tablespoons Butter
1 Bunch Cilantro, chopped
1 Garlic clove, minced
1/2 Lemon, juiced
Blackening Seasoning (homemade or store bought)

To make the dressing: whisk together all ingredients until thickened. Add salt & pepper.


Assemble the Salad: I once read a kale salad recipe that required you to massage the kale ribbons for  a minute with your hands before assembling your salad. It's said to change the color of the leaves and take away the bitterness. I'm not sure if that's the reason or if it's just proper manners to give the kale a nice rub down on it's final seconds of life, but nonetheless I continue to massage the kale and suggest you do the same. When you notice the leaves getting greener, add the remaining ingredients and toss with the dressing.

Cook up that Salmon: Combine butter, garlic, cilantro, and lemon juice and roll butter into a log form. Wrap in aluminum foil and place in the fridge for a few minutes.
Meanwhile, season your salmon filets with blackening seasoning. I can't ever find this overseas so I make my own by sprinkling on the following: cayenne, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, thyme, salt and pepper. Heat your skillet to medium-high and when hot, add a sliver of your flavored butter. Place salmon in skillet, skin side up and cook for about 3.5-4 minutes depending on thickness and your preferences. Flip the salmon over and top each piece with a spoon full of the butter mixture. As the butter melts off the fish, take a spoon and continuously spoon the hot butter back on top of each piece of salmon. Cook for an additional 3.5-4 minutes, or longer for thicker pieces. Assemble on top of salad.
You can check the sides to see how much longer each piece will need





No comments:

Post a Comment