Monday, February 23, 2015

Buffalo Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps

For everyone who reads this blog and doesn't know me personally (all 2 of you most likely), I love to cook! I'm a far cry from Giada but I love experimenting with different recipes and trying out new ingredients based on wherever we're living. Being that obnoxious Instagrammer who constantly posts pictures of food, my friends often ask me for recipes and I usually shutter at the thought of it. I'm absolutely awful at measuring (the reason I can't bake) and always give directions in terms of "a little of this" or a "bunch of that". 

Regardless, I'm going to attempt to try and start sharing some of my favorite recipes. Everything I make is usually low-carb/low-sugar but I'll also post some of my favorite cheat meals as well. I think cooking should be easy and if I can help one or two people cook who don't think they can, I'll consider this a success!

Alas, here is a quick & easy chicken salad recipe that I love making for lunch. If you're used to following professional food bloggers, I hope you forgive my sad attempt at food photography & the fact that I live in someone else's home in a foreign country and have to use their plates & cookware that I wouldn't necessarily choose myself :)

Buffalo Chicken Salad Lettuce Wraps
Ingredients:
 Chicken Salad:

  • 5 Chicken Cutlets (usually about 2 per person)
  • Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder & Paprika for seasoning
  • Greek Yogurt 
  • 1/2 Red Onion: Diced
  • Shredded Carrots
  • Romaine Lettuce Leafs (2 per person)
  • Frank's Hot Sauce (or the buffalo sauce of your choice, but in my opinion it should be Franks :)
  • Green Onions, Chopped for garnish.
Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing:
  • 1/2 Cup Greek Yogurt (I like Fage 0%)
  • 1/4 Cup Blue or Gorgonzola Cheese
  • Juice of 1/2 Lemon
  • 1 tbsp Vinegar
  • Dash of: garlic powder, onion powder, salt & pepper
To make the Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing:
This is such a healthier alternative to store bought blue cheese. You save big time on calories when using greek yogurt as your base. I make a greek yogurt ranch as well that I'll share later on. 
  1. Crumble the blue cheese into a bowl, sprinkle with salt and mash well with a fork.
  2. Add the rest of the ingredients, mix well & store in fridge
To make the Chicken Salad:
  1. Season your chicken breasts with salt, pepper, garlic powder and paprika (or if you're in a hurry, use a store bought rotisserie chicken and skip to step 5!)
  2. Heat up your grill pan & spray with cooking spray or a dash of olive oil so the chicken won't stick
  3. Grill your chicken breast on each side until cooked thoroughly
  4. Let your chicken cool & shred with your hands into a large bowl
  5. Add diced red onion, shredded carrots, 2 tablespoons plain greek yogurt & 2 tablespoons of Greek Yogurt Blue Cheese Dressing to chicken and mix well (if you used more chicken or like a creamier mix, obviously add more of the yogurt/dressing mix)
  6. Add Franks hot sauce to the chicken mixture, I usually do about 2 tbsp, but it depends on how spicy you like it.
  7. Season with salt & pepper and let cool in the fridge for 20 minutes or so before serving
  8. Serve inside romaine lettuce leaves & garnish with chopped green onions, a few blue cheese crumbles+ additional greek yogurt blue cheese & frank's hot sauce if you wish!

No comments:

Post a Comment