Friday, November 15, 2013

Polish Pedicures and Other Weird Things...

I've yet to have a successful pedicure in Europe. In fact, I've yet to even go through with a pedicure over here without walking (or running) out before they could get started. My first attempt was in Riga, Latvia where D and I walked into a place that said "pedikuras" on the window. After trying to describe what we wanted to the receptionist, she eventually lead us down a small, narrow hallway into a 6'x6' "room" with a dentist chair and some power tools. I immediately gave D the "lets get the hell out of here" stare and the woman asked us who wanted to go first. Deividas is good at many things, but going along with me when I am lying to get out of an awkward situation, is not one of them. I whipped out my cell phone and pretended I got an emergency text and had to leave and D just gave me back a blank stare and volunteered me to go first. I told the woman I had to reschedule and made a run for it.

Since then, I guess you could say I've stayed clear of pedicures. It's the first thing I do whenever I go home and the last thing I do before I leave. I've also somewhat mastered the art of in-home pedicures  for those times in between. So, when Deividas came home from practice yesterday and told me he made us pedicure appointments, I was more than slightly concerned. 

We arrive at the spa this afternoon and are greeted at the door by two young women wearing all white medical uniforms. They lead us up the stairs and into a room cut in half by a divider. One side had your typical dentist chair, and the other, a normal American-style pedicure chair. One of the women instructed D to sit down in the dentist chair and I simultaneously exhaled a sigh of relief and stuffed my jacket over my face so they couldn't see how hard I was laughing. I walked over to my side and realized it wasn't much better. Sure the chair looked normal but the set of tools sitting next to it didn't scream "this is going to be a relaxing experience" to me. The woman began taking off my old polish and told me my feet were "beautiful,  immediately leading me to question what type of services my husband had signed me up for. I took the remote control in my hand to start my chair massage and quickly learned it was broken and that these two knobs would be stuck in my back for the remainder of this experience. It wasn't until the two women exchanged a few words in Polish, having me wonder if they were discussing my dry feet or polish choice, that I finally felt at home. 
Just imagine D in here..hehehehe

my "sanctuary"

I promise you, this really isn't a doctor's office..

So although my pedicure experience more closely resembled a trip to the doctor than a relaxing spa oasis, I walked out of there with some great looking feet. The pedicurist was an absolute doll and although she didn't speak English, I will pretend she knew exactly what she was saying when she called my feet beautiful. Of course I miss American pedicures, but to be honest, it was refreshing not to be asked if "I have boyfriend" or if "I want diamond on my nail" for once. 

Another quite interesting experience happened when Deividas was at practice last week. We live right next door to a huge church with a seminary and convent attached. I heard a loud noise coming outside so I opened my window to see what it was.  Our street is usually pretty quite so I didn't think twice about sticking my torso outside the window to see what was going on, even if I just had a sports bra on from working out. What's the worst thing that could happen when you are hanging out your window in a sports bra, you may ask? How about a Catholic Parade of over 1,000 Priests & Nuns, chanting bible verses down the street with candles...at night...in the dark. How do things like this happen to me, and always when Deividas isn't home.


In other news, D's team has had some really unfortunate injuries so far and he has had to fill in and play starting Point Guard (he has only played Shooting Guard for the passed 6+ years) . Regardless, his team ended up winning Wednesday night and he was the leading scorer. I'm so proud of him :) 
After Wednesday's Game
My mom just sent me a huge package filled with all kinds of things including some Thanksgiving decor so I am getting ready to host Thanksgiving dinner for the Americans on the team. I'm sure it'll be interesting :) I understand Poland doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving but I wish they'd cool their jets a little when it comes to displaying Christmas decor this early. They've even started playing Christmas music in the grocery stores.  I'll continue to ignore it and pretend everyone else around here is just as excited for Thanksgiving as I am. Happy November!

Couldn't resist this beautiful sunset out our window the other night...















No comments:

Post a Comment